Monday, January 17, 2011

Signs of Progress

I decided to give the mud-wallowing a skip until I got my tetanus shot, which I'd booked for the afternoon. Instead I sorted out our apartment.

For about 2 weeks before the flood we had been finding a lot of ants in the apartment. I guess that with all the rain they just wanted somewhere dry, and found a nice cosy spot in the drywalls. We had been keeping them under control, but by the time I got back there today they were having a great party. Also we had cleared out the fridge of perishables but it was desperate for a good clean, and needed to clear out the cupboards of open packets of biscuits, pasta, etc.

Things were far quieter at the apartment building with the weekend workers having returned to their paid jobs, but the council workers, rural fire fighting service and volunteer bobcat drivers cleaning out the road and building entrance. With all that work the building is finally becoming recognisable.

Residents were busying themselves with sorting out their personal things: Washing recovered photos, carrying boxes out, etc.

We also heard today that the Energex - The electricity supply company - said that they have been able to clean the flooded substation rather than having to replace it as we expected. That makes a great difference. If available tradies can be found to sort out all the other things we might be able to move back into the apartments in 2 or 3 weeks. The other niceties (like new carpets on the floors) will probably take longer.

Some measure of normality is starting to return to other parts of Brisbane as well: Roads are opening up, trains are back on schedule and people are going back to work. The grass is starting to flourish too - All that free "fertilizer" seems to be doing wonders for it.


But there is still a lot of work to be done.
Now that I've had my tetanus injection it will probably be hard labour for me again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment